Divorcing Well Do’s
1. Do use boundaries for civil communication.
– Use email if face-to-face conversations are too difficult.
2. Do remember that your children are ½ your spouse’s DNA.
– And therefore speak respectfully about your soon-to-be-ex.
3. Do own your part in the relationship.
– It will help you in future relationships to recognize your role in the breakdown of the marriage.
4. Do be open and fair about finances.
– It will cost you financially and emotionally to create and prolong a battle.
5. Do move on to the new chapter of your life.
– When you treat your divorce as the beginning rather than the end a whole new world awaits you.
Divorcing Well Don’ts
1. Don’t hire a killer attorney.
– Do hire a collaborative attorney.
2. Don’t treat your spouse like they’re the enemy.
– When you treat your soon-to-be-ex like the enemy, it creates a hostile environment in which both parties lose.
3. Don’t badmouth your spouse around others.
– It generates an environment of negativity in which you will become a victim also.
4. Don’t deny the children access to their parent.
– Children need both parents in their lives.
5. Don’t wallow in the ‘tragedy’ of your life.
– Focus on the blessings in your life and the lessons in this loss.