1. Accept things as they are - We don’t have control over many changes in our life - Our grief is greater when we resist these changes - This moment, as it is, is the beginning of the rest of your life
2. Choose Your Lens - How we view our life situation is a choice - An ending is not necessarily a failure - Will your lens be one of war or peace?
3. Don’t take the Bait - Antagonism can trigger resistance and aggression - When we are aware, we can choose to respond differently - Observe the gap between feelings and response
4. Be Compassionate - Compassion for others is a rich source of inner peace - Your anger is your biggest enemy – foster loving-kindness - Label your thoughts; be a compassionate observer
5. Honor the Process - Holding onto the past and/or fear of the future interferes - Be in the NOW - Allow yourself gratitude for today
6. See the Big Picture - The tenor of your divorce sets the stage for your new life - You will have an ongoing connection with this person - Look 5, 10 years into the future; how small will this all be?